Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sharon's {cancer} Story: One True Thing


One day when mom and I were home together, this movie came on TV. We had seen it years back when it had first came out and I could barely remember it. Now, I'll never forget the scene that was playing and mom’s response…

Ellie, Kate’s daughter, quits her job and moves home to take care of her mother who is dying w/ cancer. In this particular scene, Ellie is helping her mother out of the bath and into her wheelchair. Her mother doesn’t even look like the same person you saw at the beginning of the movie.

Kate: cries out in pain… “I don’t want to live like this!”
Ellie: pauses for a long time…then quietly says, “It will be better tomorrow.”
Kate: upset…“No, this is not living!”

This was such a surreal moment w/ mom. This was not long after she was diagnosed. She was in A LOT of pain, but she was not in a wheelchair and her appearance had not yet changed dramatically like this mother’s appearance had in the movie. It was so painful to watch this scene w/ mom – it was like we were watching what her near future would hold. Little did we know just how near it would be. Mom shook her head in disgust and agreed w/ Kate saying, “No – this is not living – this is no way to live!”

She was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment