While watching
Farrah’s Story, I felt compelled to share my mom’s story. She deserves that. Since she passed away back in the fall of 2005, I have dreamed about starting a ‘storybook’ full of memories, pictures, and stories of her life. I saw this as a wonderful opportunity to keep her memory alive and to share her with my children one day. I imagine myself 5, 10, or 15 years from now, lying in bed with my children reading stories from an old, worn book about Nana’s life. Although she won’t be here to hold my first child in her arms, to reassure me as I navigate motherhood and tell me stories of how she made it as a single mother… this is the closest way I know how to keep her memory alive and to let my children know the wonderful Nana that they will (by God’s grace) meet one day.

I’ve been looking for that ‘perfect’ book that will hold what is most precious to me, and hopefully will be precious to my children. It had to look like a storybook. It needed to have nice blank pages w/ a spine that looked like an old book. Finally after searching for a couple years… I found it while in London. It’s a beautiful handmade book from Germany. I knew instantly it was the ‘one’. But now, I am so afraid to start it b/c there is so much I have to share, but I don’t know where to start and I certainly don’t want to mess up this treasured storybook. So, I thought the perfect place to start would be a blog. I get the best of both worlds. I get to share my mom w/ others and tell of the wonderful, wonderful person she was and how very special our relationship was… while processing through the grief and pain her absence leaves behind… and I get to take my time on this storybook, adding to it after I’ve had many stories and memories already shared.
This will be good for me. I find myself longing to tell stories about her life… longing to share who she was w/ others… longing to relive cherished memories. It’s all I have left of her. And I don’t want to lose that.
I can't wait to hear her stories as told through you, Candace! What a great book you found, just perfect!!
ReplyDelete