Monday, August 24, 2009

In the arms of an angel

When I was born, God knew I’d need lots of love you see,
so he sent an angel named Nana right over to me.

I read this quote in some country store at the Opryland Mall less than a year after mom had died. I immediately broke down (in the store, mind you) and Ryan rushed over to see what was the matter. My heart broke as I was hit w/ the reality that my children would never know their ‘Nana’. If you’ve lost someone really close to you or have experienced the kind of emotional pain that literally feels as though your heart is breaking into a million pieces… you know what I mean. Right then and there, I vowed to Ryan that we would put that quote in every one of our children’s rooms and that they would know their Nana… I would find a way to make sure they knew who she was and how much she loved them.

Well, the day after we found out that we lost the baby, my sister shared some very comforting news w/ me that I hadn’t quite thought of yet. If you read my first post about what motivated me to start this blog, you will see that it was born of a desire for my children to know my mother. It grieves my heart to know that my mother will not be here to stand by my side as I give birth, to hold my first child, or to be the ‘Nana’ to them that she got to be to my 2 nieces.

My sister told me she had been crying all morning and I could hear it in her voice. But she told me she thought of something that had helped her and believed it would comfort me as well. She told me that mom was holding my first child and my first child knows their Nana… that they were together and mom was taking care of that lil soul until I could join them again one day. Immediately, my heart leapt as I heard those words and thought of mom holding our baby. I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that earlier, but it did bring me great comfort. And since then, I have even had a few friends remind me of that, which made me feel better to know that they were thinking of me and my great loss (my mom). Losing this pregnancy was hard… but I couldn’t compare it to losing my mother. (I hope that doesn’t sound harsh or bad, but if I have to explain that one, then I will at some point.)

So even though our child is not necessarily in the ‘arms of an angel’… it comforts me to think that our baby is in the arms of an 'angel' named Nana.

No comments:

Post a Comment