Saturday, June 13, 2009

How can someone so young lose so much?

I can literally feel my heart breaking when I think about the girls and what they lost. How do you prepare a child for something like that? How do their lil hearts handle all that big pain? What do they do w/ those memories of someone so close and then all of a sudden it’s blank. I can barely wrap my mind around it… let alone my heart – and I’m an adult. How does a 9yr old and 5 yr old comprehend death? It is beyond me.

Caleb never got to meet his Nana. She died before he was born. But he certainly knows who she is. He can point out his Nana in a picture. We talk of her often and from the time he could open his eyes, Tessa was showing him pictures of our mother. I think of Steel Magnolia's at Shelby's funeral when M'Lynn has her breakdown and screams "I wanna know how that baby will ever know how wonderful his mother was! Will he ever know what she went through for him!" That's what I think of when I think of Caleb and my kids... Will they ever know how wonderful their Nana was?

That’s why I’m committed to sharing mom’s story… sharing the good, the bad, and the wonderful, amazing woman she was and always will be. The girls will want to know and remember. Caleb will want to know his Nana. My kids will want and deserve to know her.

Savannah, Caleb, Cassidy

No comments:

Post a Comment